Our work relies on the commitment of students and professionals who volunteer their time and skills in our offices. Volunteering opportunities are currently available in Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth.
Practical Legal Training (Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart)
Our PLT students are required to commit to three days a week for at least three months.
The successful applicants will be supervised by a Senior Solicitor and will undertake a wide variety of legal research tasks, assist in the preparation of legal documents and answer our telephone advice line.
All legal volunteers undertake a short trial period with us. If a volunteer position is offered, we ask you to make a commitment to work at least one day per week for at least three months. Available days are Monday to Friday.
Legal volunteers are exposed to a broad range of work, including:
- Legal research on matters concerning biodiversity, climate change, pollution, planning, mining and water law;
- Assisting in the preparation of court documents and drafting letters and legal advices;
- Assisting solicitors in case work and litigation in Court;
- Engaging in public interest legal environmental work for a broad scope of clients;
- Drafting submissions and participating in law reform work; and
- Assisting solicitors in the preparation of educational materials for the community.
We are grateful to lawyers who volunteer with us, if you have practised environmental law and would like to volunteer your time please get in touch.
Law students who have studied environmental law are encouraged to apply. Law student volunteers:
- need to have, or be in the process of completing, a law degree; and
- must have studied planning and/or environmental law. This means having studied a law subject that covers the fundamental principles and concepts of Australian domestic environmental law.
Volunteers with scientific expertise can support us in two ways, either in the Sydney office or via our Expert Register.
Office volunteers (Sydney, Canberra, Perth)
EDO has some capacity to accept volunteers with administration and other specialist office skills, such as marketing, fundraising, research and reporting, video production and editing, communications and project management. Skills in Microsoft Excel are highly desirable.
If you would like to volunteer your skills in the office, please get in touch and outline the skills and experience you have to offer.
EDO runs an International Program to provide specialist assistance to organisations across the South Pacific. If you have skills or experience in international development and/or law and have an interest in our International Program, please make a note of this when you contact us.