Important Coronavirus Update
From Tuesday 17 March 2020, EDO’s operations including workshops and seminars will be undertaken remotely and online.
Our physical offices will be closed, but people will still be able to access the EDO by phone, email and our website. See contact details for each office below. Read more
Our work relies on the commitment of students and professionals who volunteer their time and skills in our offices. Volunteering opportunities are currently available in Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth.
Find out about volunteering in our Brisbane office or email [email protected]
For more information about volunteer placements in the Sydney office please see below.
For other locations contact the relevant office.
Types of volunteering
Practical Legal Training (PLT)
Law students with an interest in environmental or planning law, and who have completed at least one subject in the area, can apply to complete their Practical legal Training at EDO.
The successful applicants will be supervised by a Senior Solicitor and will undertake a wide variety of legal research tasks, and assist in the preparation of legal documents.
Applications for Practical Legal Training placements in our Sydney office are open. Please apply by filling out this form, making sure to attach your CV, Academic Transcript and an example of your writing.
All legal volunteers undertake a short trial period with us. If a volunteer position is offered, we ask you to make a commitment to work at least one day per week for at least three months. Available days are Monday to Friday.
Legal volunteers are exposed to a broad range of work, including:
- Legal research on matters concerning biodiversity, climate change, pollution, planning, mining and water law;
- Assisting in the preparation of court documents and drafting letters and legal advices;
- Assisting solicitors in case work and litigation in Court;
- Engaging in public interest legal environmental work for a broad scope of clients;
- Drafting submissions and participating in law reform work; and
- Assisting solicitors in the preparation of educational materials for the community.
We are grateful to lawyers who volunteer with us. if you have practised environmental law and would like to volunteer your time with EDO’s Sydney office, please fill out this form.
Law students and graduates
Law students and graduates who have studied environmental law are encouraged to apply. Law student and graduate volunteers:
- need to have, or be in the process of completing, a law degree; and
- must have studied planning and/or environmental law. This means having studied a law subject that covers the fundamental principles and concepts of Australian domestic environmental law
- may also have a corporations law or commercial law background for work on our Safe Climate – Corporate & Gas team
If you fulfil the above criteria and are interested in being a legal volunteer with EDO’s Sydney office, please fill out this form. You will then be placed into our register of potential volunteers. We will contact you if you are successful in progressing to an interview. A conflict check may be required if you have worked in another law firm or relevant organisation. If you wish to withdraw your application from our register, please e-mail us at [email protected]
University Placements/Aurora Interns – For those law students whose university placement or Aurora internship has been approved, please fill out this form and choose “University Placement/Aurora Intern” as the type of legal volunteer position.
Volunteers with scientific expertise can support us via our Expert Register. To apply to join our expert register, please fill out this form:
EDO runs an International Program to provide specialist assistance to organisations across the South Pacific. If you have skills or experience in international development and/or law and have an interest in our International Program, please fill out this form.