Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment through groundbreaking litigation and law reform advocacy.
Find out about volunteering for EDO, as a legal student, lawyer, scientist or office support.
EDO Solicitor, Canberra
We have a fantastic opportunity in our Canberra team to use your legal skills to provide advice and representation, law reform and policy and CLE sessions on environmental protection, land clearing, biodiversity and the biggest challenge in environmental law – climate change.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL:
- Respond to telephone and written inquiries from the public
- Provide written advice to clients
- Conduct litigation matters, where its arises
- Contribute to the community education and policy work of EDO.
- An ACT practising certificate or eligibility for admission to legal practice in the ACT and at least two years post admission experience, including litigation in administrative and/or environmental law
- Understanding of and experience with ACT environmental law and policy
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain good relationships with clients from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences, including plain English communications with members of the public
Position: The position is a fixed term, 12-month contract with the possibility of extension subject to funding. The position is full time, but 4 days a week may be considered.
Salary: Salary dependent on experience. The role is covered by the SCHADS award.
HOW TO APPLY
EDO provides an inspiring and flexible workplace to get the best out of our staff. Applications should be submitted via email to [email protected], using the subject line: Solicitor application via EDO. Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information, contact Stephanie Booker via email at [email protected].
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 10 January 2020.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identified people are encouraged to apply.