The new biodiversity and land clearing regime commenced on 25 August 2017, despite serious concerns about increased land clearing and weakened biodiversity offset standards.
We will continue to provide feedback on aspects of the new regime and to work with communities concerned about the new laws. We are updating our fact sheets to reflect these changes and running community education workshops.
October 2019 – Submission on changes to Biodiversity Assessment Method
July 2019: Legal updates on Implementation of the NSW land clearing laws
Part 1: The missing pieces
Part 2: Clearing in urban areas and E zones
Part 3: Compliance and enforcement
May 2018: The political endorsement of extinction
December 2017: EDO NSW submission on Draft Biodiversity Conservation Investment Strategy 2017-2037.
November 2017 case: Nature Conservation Council vs Minister for Primary Industries and Another
June 2017 Draft regulations and instruments
EDO NSW made submissions on each of the 13 consultation documents. You can download all submissions combined, including an executive summary.
Seminar: video from a community seminar held in Sydney, 1 June 2017.
Biodiversity and land clearing laws passed in November 2016
- The Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (NSW) [PDF] and Local Land Services Amendment Act 2016 (NSW) [PDF], passed into law in November 2016.
- EDO NSW submission, June 2016, which consists of three reports, on: the draft Biodiversity Conservation Bill, the draft Local Land Services Amendment Bill, and the Biodiversity Assessment Method and Mapping Method
- Video: biodiversity reform package 2016. Landcare NSW invited EDO NSW to join panel discussions around the State on the reforms. View a 10 minute video presented by EDO NSW Senior Policy and Law Reform Solicitor Nari Sahukar.
- Rachel Walmsley, our Policy and Law Reform Director, appeared on the ABC’s NSW Country Hour radio program to talk about the impact of the reforms. Listen to the program online (skip to 30:30 for the start of the segment).
- Submission to Review Panel: In 2014 we prepared a comprehensive legal analysis as part of the review process.