Job type: Full-time
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply
This is a unique opportunity to join the EDO in a period of growth and rapid expansion, with two new solicitor positions for talented and experienced solicitors based in our Darwin office. We are recruiting for a solicitor or senior solicitor to join the Northern Territory Practice Team within our Healthy Environment and Justice Program (ongoing), and a solicitor or senior solicitor to join the Safe Climate (Gas) Practice Team within our Systemic Change Program (12 month contract).
For either role, you will have an unrestricted practising certificate, and strong PAE working as a lawyer with demonstrated litigation experience. These positions represent an opportunity to deliver on human rights and the environment in the Northern Territory, and offer a high level of autonomy. Lawyers who think outside the box and want a chance to think creatively about delivering systemic change are strongly encouraged to apply.
EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The chance to deliver positive environmental outcomes and develop a unique legal practice within the EDO
- A flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- 15 personal days per year
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including media training, as required
Key selection criteria
- An unrestricted practicing certificate or entitlement to one in the Northern Territory
- A minimum of 2 years PAE working as a solicitor including litigation, 4-8 + years PAE highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in administrative and/or environmental law in the Northern Territory highly desirable
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgments and decisions based on consideration of different views
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences
- Demonstrated litigation experience in administrative or environmental law and/or related disciplines
- Capacity to undertake law reform or policy, experience desirable
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse communities and individuals highly desirable
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the agreed values of the EDO
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
With the 8 Environmental Defenders Offices around Australia merging in late 2019, we are now entering a period of substantial growth necessary to meet the growing demands of the public for public interest legal services to address environmental and public health issues such as climate change.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
How to Apply
Applications must address the key selection criteria, identify the Practice Team applying for (e.g. NT or Safe Climate), level of seniority preferred and provide evidence of qualifications (CV). Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain further information on the work of EDO from our website. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications can be made to join either a single Practice Team or for both.
For further information about the position please us at [email protected]
Applications close at midday on Monday, 14 December 2020 and are to be forwarded to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Solicitor / Senior Solicitor’ and identify the Practice Team in the subject line. For instance, ‘Application for position of Solicitor – Northern Territory and Safe Climate (Gas)’.