Location: Any location
Job type: Full-time
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply
We are recruiting for a Senior Solicitor or Special Counsel to join the Safe Climate (Human Rights and Coal) Practice Team within our Systemic Change Program.
You will have an unrestricted practising certificate, and strong PAE working as a lawyer with demonstrated litigation experience. These positions represent an opportunity to deliver on human rights, climate change and the environment and offer a high level of autonomy. Lawyers who think outside the box and want a chance to think creatively about delivering systemic change are strongly encouraged to apply.
EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The chance to deliver positive environmental outcomes and develop a unique legal practice within the EDO
- A flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- 15 personal days per year
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including media training, as required
Key selection criteria:
- An unrestricted practicing certificate or entitlement to one
- A minimum of 5 years PAE working as a solicitor including litigation, 8 + years PAE highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in administrative and/or environmental law highly desirable
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgments and decisions based on consideration of different views
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences
- Demonstrated litigation experience in administrative, human rights or environmental law and/or related disciplines
- Capacity to undertake law reform or policy, experience desirable
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with diverse communities and individuals highly desirable
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the agreed values of the EDO
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
With the 8 Environmental Defenders Offices around Australia merging in late 2019, we are now entering a period of substantial growth necessary to meet the growing demands of the public for public interest legal services to address environmental and public health issues such as climate change.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
How to Apply:
Applications must address the key selection criteria, and provide evidence of qualifications (CV). Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain further information on the work of EDO from our website. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information about the position please us at [email protected]
Please note that our office is closed during the Christmas / New Year period, and we will not be able to respond to queries until Monday, 11 January 2021
Applications close at midday on Monday, 25 January 2021 and are to be forwarded to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Senior Solicitor / Special Counsel – Safe Climate’