- Location: Australia wide (Darwin preferred)- You will be based out of one of our EDO offices under our flexible working arrangements. Our list of office locations.
- Term: This position is a 3-year fixed term contract
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 6-8: FTE $94-110k + 10% super + 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
Job title: Senior Solicitor / Special Counsel – Safe Climate (Gas)
Reporting to: Managing Lawyer – Safe Climate – Gas & Commercial Corporate
This is a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced solicitor to join the EDO Safe Climate team and advance ground-breaking climate change litigation and advice work.
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
We are recruiting for a Senior Solicitor / Special Counsel to join the Safe Climate (Gas) Practice Team within our Systemic Change Program. The role may be based anywhere in Australia, but will focus on the proposed expansion of methane gas developments in the Northern Territory. This role is offered as a three-year contract.
The Senior Solicitor – Safe Climate (Gas) will engage with legal issues surrounding climate change and environmental protection in the Northern Territory. In this role you will think creatively about delivering systemic change in relation to fossil fuel developments and climate change.
The role’s focus is on the proposed expansion of gas developments in the Northern Territory.
You will have an unrestricted practising certificate, and strong PAE working as a lawyer with demonstrated litigation experience. This position represents an opportunity to engage with legal issues surrounding climate change and environmental protection in the Northern Territory, and offers a high level of autonomy. Lawyers who want a chance to think creatively about delivering systemic change in relation to fossil fuel developments and climate change are strongly encouraged to apply.
EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are particularly encouraged to apply.
Key selection criteria
- An unrestricted practicing certificate or entitlement to one
- A minimum of 5 years PAE working as a solicitor with litigation experience, 8 + years PAE highly desirable
- For Special Counsel, capacity to supervise legal staff in delivering on advice and litigation work
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgments and decisions based on consideration of different views
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences
- Demonstrated litigation experience in administrative or environmental law and/or related disciplines
- Capacity to undertake law reform or policy, experience desirable
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with diverse communities and individuals highly desirable
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the agreed values of the EDO
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
Our culture and benefits:
- We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage.
- The chance to be part of the largest environmental legal practice in the Australia-Pacific.
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace.
- Option to work from home and the office.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- 15 Days Personal/carer’s leave.
- Extra leave over the Christmas period.
- Access to EAP.
- Ongoing professional development opportunities.
- EDO proudly has a JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion), and a Mental Health Ambassador Committee, and is developing a First Nations Indigenous Peoples Program with the aid of indigenous-led consultancies.
- Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
- Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
- Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
- Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory background checks including a National Police Check, disclosure of previous or current disciplinary action, referee checks, proof of eligibility to work in Australia and qualification checks.
EDO welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, workers of all ages, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications close at midday on Wednesday 25 August 2021 and are to be forwarded to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Senior Solicitor / Special Counsel – Safe Climate (Gas) – EDO website’