- Location: Australia wide – Flexible
- Term: This position is a 3-year contract (possible extension based on funding).
- Full-time: 37.5 hours
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 5: FTE $88,400 – 96,250 + 11% super + 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
We are seeking to employ an in-house Scientific Officer to expand the range of advice we can provide to our team of solicitors and clients. You will work closely with the Director – Science and Expert Advisory and a small team that ensures EDO remains a credible source of information for both clients and decision makers. Our science program compliments and supports our deep expertise in law.
An exciting opportunity to work across Australia with a particular focus on WA and NT that ensures EDO is at the forefront of integrating science into Australia’s legal frameworks and decision making. In this role you will be integrating science and legal issues surrounding healthy environments supporting species recoveries by reducing species extinctions.
The ideal candidate will have a broad knowledge base and enjoy applying their knowledge to complex issues, as well as assimilating and applying new knowledge.
They will be skilled at interpreting and translating technical documents to identify issues and formulate guiding advice, from which legal theory and strategy can be developed.
Working from a regional office, and remotely, with science colleagues spread across the country, the candidate will be self-motivated and work well in a multi-disciplinary team environment, where they will often be the only member of the science team amongst an office of lawyers.
- A degree in biological science, applied science, or a related discipline.
- At least 3 years professional experience in science, natural resource management, or a related discipline.
- Excellent research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated science communication skills with an ability to distil complex scientific and technical information into plain English for a range of audiences including lawyers, community members and scientists.
- Ability to work as part of a team, including team members in remote areas.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to manage and meet competing deadlines.
- An interest in a wide range of scientific and technical issues, and in working on issues to support public interest environmental outcomes.
- Commitment to EDO values.
- Qualifications or experience in biodiversity or species extinctions and management, terrestrial and aquatic experience. A working knowledge of biodiversity offsets and monitoring protocols, or forestry management.
- A well-established network of scientific and technical contacts.
- Experience in engaging with community organisations.
Our Culture and Benefits
- We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage.
- The chance to be part of the largest environmental legal practice in the Australia-Pacific.
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace.
- Option to work from home.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- 15 Days Personal/carer’s leave.
- Extra leave over the Christmas period.
- Access to EAP.
- Ongoing professional development opportunities.
- EDO proudly has a JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion), and a Mental Health Ambassador Committee, and is developing a First Nations Indigenous Peoples Program with the aid of indigenous-led consultancies.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
EDO recognises that vaccination is a personal choice, and we must find a balance between the safety of employees and volunteers, and individual rights. Accordingly, to protect the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, clients and visitors in our workplace, as detailed in our Covid-19 Safety Policy we have a condition for EDO employees, volunteers, clients and visitors who enter our offices or attend EDO meetings or EDO events to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
All offers of employment may be subject to satisfactory background checks including a National Police Check, disclosure of previous or current disciplinary action, referee checks, proof of eligibility to work in Australia and qualification checks.
EDO welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, workers of all ages, people with disability and people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications close on Monday 17th July 2023. Applications should be emailed to [email protected] with “Application for position of Scientific Officer” in the subject line.
Interviews will take place on the week commencing 24th July 2023.
If you have any accessibility needs for the recruitment or interviewing process, please let us know.