- Location: Garramilla/Darwin, Boorloo/Perth, Gadi/Sydney
- Term: 3 years
- Full time: 37.5 hours
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 4: FTE $78,000 – $84,250 + 10.5% super + 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
Job title: Legal Administrator, Safe Climate – Gas
Reporting to: Managing Lawyer, Safe Climate – Gas
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
We are recruiting for a skilled Legal Administrator to join the Safe Climate – (Gas) team within our Systemic Change Program. In this role you will play a key role in ensuring the effective and efficient management of advice and litigation files.
Your days will be varied – from preparing and managing legal documents, and ensuring legal databases are kept up-to-date, to supporting the legal volunteer program, and assisting with more general administrative support needed in the respective office.
A substantive part of this role will focus on provision of general administrative support in coordination with the National Operations Coordinators, IT and Finance Teams.
We are looking for a skilled legal administrator, with a commitment to attention to detail and accuracy, who can problem solve and work on their own initiative. You will need to be enthusiastic, and flexible, with a high level of computer competency, and ideally have familiarity with court processes and legal document management systems.
At a personal level you will be comfortable working with diverse communities, and a team player, working collaboratively in a distributed team environment.
- An experienced legal administrator or have similar administrative experience in a busy office environment.
- Passionate. About environmental justice and about the environment.
- A people person. You have the confidence to liaise with clients, barristers, and others.
- Motivated. You’ve got get up and go. You’re going to take ownership of this role and truly make a difference.
- Someone who is proactive, forward thinking, and continually focused on process improvement.
- Experience in legal administration or similar administrative role in a busy office
- Ability and confidence to communicate well with a variety of people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, use initiative and exercise problem-solving skills in the workplace
- High level of computer competence, including Microsoft 365 environment
- Demonstrated Database and digital client file management skills (CLASS, LEAP or similar)
- Demonstrated experience in assisting in administration of court and/or tribunal work, familiarity with court processes, including court filing, file management and assembly of legal briefs
- Great project management skills
- Experience with volunteer programs or supervising volunteers
- Highly motivated, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and distributed team environment.
- Commitment to EDO’s values and interest in our work protecting Australia’s environment through the law.
Our Culture and Benefits:
We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected, and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or life stage.
- The chance to be part of the largest environmental legal practice in the Australia-Pacific
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Option to work from home and the office
- 8 weeks paid parental leave, regardless of gender or carer status
- 15 days personal/carer’s leave
- 10 days paid family and domestic violence leave
- 3 days paid cultural leave
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
EDO proudly has a JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion) Committee and a Mental Health Ambassador Committee, and has developed a First Nations Program with the aid of indigenous-led consultancies.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Vision – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
All offers of employment may be subject to satisfactory background checks including a National Police Check, disclosure of previous or current disciplinary action, referee checks, proof of eligibility to work in Australia and qualification checks.
EDO welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, workers of all ages, people with disability and people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications close on Sunday 23rd of April 2023, – early applications are encouraged as interviews will be held on a rolling basis. Applications should be emailed to [email protected] with “Application for position of Legal Administrator, Safe Climate – Gas” in the subject line.
If you have any accessibility needs for any of the recruitment process, please let us know.
Please note: Your application may be considered for future roles at the EDO within the next 12 months without additional advertising. Please notify us in your application if you would not like to be considered for similar roles beyond this recruitment.