- Location: Canberra
- Experience: Legal Administrator
- Term: On-going
- Job type: Part time (0.5 FTE) which is 18.75 hours
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 4: FTE $74-80k + 10% super + 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
EDO is the leading environmental law practice in the Australia-Pacific Region delivering legal solutions for peoples, nature and our climate. We have a big vision which is a world where nature thrives. We’ve got big ambition about the role we can play in delivering that vision and we’ve got an incredible team across the country working to achieve it.
We are dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy. Over our 30-year combined history we’ve developed a formidable track record of empowering communities and delivering effective protection of the environment through legal services.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
As the Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) continues to grow, we have a new opportunity for an experienced legal administrator to join the team.
In this newly created role you will be an integral member of the ACT Practice which is part of EDO’s Healthy Environment and Justice Program, and under the direction of the Managing Lawyer – ACT, will play a key role in ensuring the effective and efficient management of advice and litigation files.
EDO’s Healthy Environment and Justice Program works to deliver systemic change for vulnerable communities in the ACT and advance environmental justice.
Your days will be varied – from preparing and managing legal documents, and ensuring legal databases are kept up-to-date, to supporting the legal volunteer program, and assisting with more general administrative support needed in the office.
Applications close midday, Monday 02 August 2021.
We are looking for a skilled legal administrator, with a commitment to attention to detail and accuracy, who can problem solve and work on their own initiative. You will need to be enthusiastic, and flexible, with a high level of computer competency, and familiarity with court processes and legal document management systems.
At a personal level you will be comfortable working with diverse communities, and a team player, working collaboratively in a distributed team environment.
- An experienced legal administrator or have similar administrative experience in a busy office environment.
- Passionate. About environmental justice and about the environment.
- A people person. You have the confidence to liaise with clients, barristers, and others.
- Motivated. You’ve got get up and go. You’re going to take ownership of new this role and truly make a difference.
• Experience in legal administration or similar administrative role in a busy office
• Ability and confidence to communicate well with a variety of people
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to use initiative and problem-solving skills in the workplace
• High level of computer competence, including Microsoft 365 environment
• Demonstrated Database and digital client file management skills (CLASS, LEAP or similar)
• Demonstrated experience in assisting in administration of court and/or tribunal work, familiarity with court processes, including court filing, file management and assembly of legal briefs
• Experience with volunteer programs or supervising volunteers.
• Highly motivated, attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work in a collaborative and distributed team environment.
• Commitment to EDO’s values and interest in our work protecting Australia’s environment through the law
Our Culture and Benefits:
- We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage.
- The chance to be part of the largest environmental legal practice in the Australia-Pacific.
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace.
- Option to work from home and the office.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- 15 Days Personal/carer’s leave.
- Extra leave over the Christmas period.
- Access to EAP.
- Ongoing professional development opportunities.
- EDO proudly has a JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion), and a Mental Health Ambassador Committee, and is developing a First Nations Indigenous Peoples Program with the aid of indigenous-led consultancies.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory background checks including a National Police Check, disclosure of previous or current disciplinary action, referee checks, proof of eligibility to work in Australia and qualification checks.
EDO welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, workers of all ages, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information or sending your application, please contact Melanie Montalban via email at [email protected] using the subject line: Legal Administrator enquiry via EDO website.
Applications close midday, Monday 02 August 2021.