Location: Open to candidates Australia-wide
Salary: Dependent on experience – linked to SCHADS Industrial Award Level 8.
Job type: Part-time 0.4 FTE to be worked flexibly as agreed
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply
EDO is looking for an experienced Financial Controller to improve our financial systems and manage our accounting operations. Duties for the Financial Controller will include ensuring compliance with regulations, overseeing accounting operations, coordinating auditing processes, monitoring and implementing proper internal controls, ensuring accuracy of financial information, and working with the Director, Finance and Operations to improve financial reporting and analysis, and evaluate risk.
We are looking for someone with excellent financial and analytical skills. You will need to be able to balance a drive for efficiency with an understanding of operational context – – you are an excellent problem-solver. You will need to operate through a risk lens and be able to communicate effectively with financial and non-financial roles to identify risk and mitigation strategies. You will need to be able to work independently and flexibly as the role requires – and be able to put in the hours needed during audit season and other peak periods.
You will also be a team player and comfortable working with people across the organisation, working within our distributed team across Australia and reporting to the Director, Finance and Operations.
- An experienced Financial Controller or similar with 8 years+ experience in a similar role exercising financial controllership and the management of risk.
- Have experience in the coordination of internal and external audit.
- Have experience in financial and business process reform, including review and improvement of internal controls.
- Have experience in the assessment and implementation of contemporary finance systems, financial management and service delivery within a disseminated, national organisation.
- Have experience in business analysis and long-term financial planning.
- Knowledgeable of and have the ability to interpret and implement accounting standards, relevant legislation and agreements.
- Have a tertiary degree qualification in accounting or equivalent, supported by further professional development.
- Full Membership of a professional accounting association, e.g. CA, CPA.
- Have a diverse career with some corporate and some Not-for-Profit experience.
- Being a registered BAS agent would also good but is not necessary.
- A flexible and family-friendly workplace.
- Flexibility in how your hours are worked over the week.
- Extra leave over the Christmas period.
- A chance to support some of the most exciting work being done in the environmental law space in Australia
The Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the leading environmental law practice in the Australia Pacific Region delivering legal solutions for peoples, nature and our climate. We have a big vision which is a world where nature thrives. We’ve got big ambition about the role we can play in delivering that vision and we’ve got an incredible team across the country working to achieve it.
In 2020 we underwent a 12-month period of rapid growth and change following the merger of the pre-existing eight Environmental Defenders Offices located across Australia. And, of course, like all organisations we have had to learn to work in a world changed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Commitment – We are committed to: a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted via email to [email protected] with ‘Application for position in of Financial Controller inthe subject line.
Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria listed in the You Are section. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information, contact Blake Powell, Director, Finance and Operations via email at [email protected].
Applications close 9am on Wednesday, 24 March 2021.