- Location: Remote/Location Negotiable
- Term: Permanent
- Full Time
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 7: $105,650-$111,500 + 10.5% super +17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
- Start date: Late January/early February
Job title: Finance Manager
Reporting to: Financial Controller
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the leading environmental law practice in the Australia Pacific Region delivering legal solutions for peoples, nature and our climate. We have a big vision which is a world where nature thrives. We’ve got big ambition about the role we can play in delivering that vision and we’ve got an incredible team across the country working to achieve it.
We are dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy. Over our 30-year combined history we’ve developed a formidable track record of empowering communities and delivering effective protection of the environment through legal services.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
Due to a recent team expansion and organisational growth, this newly created Finance Manager position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day transactional operations of the Finance function and line managing three Finance staff.
You are a hands-on Finance Manager willing to regularly be down in the detail. You have experience managing all aspects of transactional accounting, and a proven track record in delivering accurate and timely accounting information and regular reporting.
You enjoy working in a dynamic environment, meeting the demands and opportunities of a quickly growing organisation, whilst managing the balance of standards, rigour and efficiency.
You want to work at the intersect of climate justice, human rights, the rights of First Nations and the environment, and relish the opportunity to make an impact for peoples and nature.
Key selection criteria:
- 7+ years’ experience with accounting qualification and current full CPA or CA Membership
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar role at Senior Accountant or Finance Manager level, ideally managing a small team
- Well-developed people management skills and experience managing staff or a small team
- Extensive experience in financial operations, including payroll monitoring, accounts payable, accounts receivable, month end close process, reporting and general accounting tasks
- Track record evaluating efficiencies, and identifying, implementing and continually improving processes
- Sound knowledge and application of statutory / legislative requirements, including GST and FBT
- Proficient in MYOB Accounting Software, high-level Excel skills, and proficiency in other MS Office applications
- Excellent attention to detail without sacrificing efficiency
- Experience in not-for-profit sector desirable
- Strong communications skills and willingness to interact regularly with external and internal stakeholders
- Proactive and self-motivated with ability to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to jump in and assist where required in a constantly changing environment.
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the EDO values
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of human rights and the environment
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of First Nations and peoples from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
Our Culture and Benefits:
- We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected, and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or life stage
- The chance to be part of the largest environmental legal practice in the Australia-Pacific
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Option to work from home and the office
- Paid parental leave
- 15 Days personal/carer’s leave
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- EDO proudly has a JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion) Committee and a Mental Health Ambassador Committee, and has developed a First Nations Program with the aid of indigenous-led consultancies.
Commitment – We are committed to a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Vision – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
How to Apply
All offers of employment may be subject to satisfactory background checks including a National Police Check, disclosure of previous or current disciplinary action, referee checks, proof of eligibility to work in Australia and qualification checks.
EDO particularly encourages applications from Pacific Island people, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, workers of all ages, people with disability and people who identify as LGBTQIA+.
Applications must include a resume and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications close on 15 December 2022 – early applications are encouraged as interviews will be held on a rolling basis. Applications should be emailed to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Finance Manager’ in the subject line. If you have any accessibility needs for interviews please let us know.