Job type: Full time/Part time (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply
We are looking for a talented junior lawyer at 0-4 years PAE to join the Western Australia Practice Team within our Healthy Environment and Justice Program on a 6 month contract position.
You are in your early career looking to gain experience at the cutting edge of environmental law. You have strong written and oral communication skills, an eye for detail, and a desire to work with the community to afford access to justice on environmental issues. Candidates with experience working in environmental or administrative law will be preferred. Lawyers who think outside the box and want a chance to think creatively about delivering systemic change are strongly encouraged to apply.
EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The chance to deliver positive environmental outcomes and develop a unique legal practice within the EDO
- A flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- 15 personal days per year
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
Key selection criteria
- Holds a practicing certificate or entitlement to one in Western Australia
- A law degree and admission to practice within Australia
- 0-4 years PAE working as a solicitor, 2 + years PAE highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in administrative and/or environmental law highly desirable
- Problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgments and decisions based on consideration of different views
- Ability to work productively and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences
- Litigation experience in administrative or environmental law and/or related disciplines highly desirable
- Capacity to undertake law reform or policy, experience desirable
- Experience working with diverse communities and individuals highly desirable
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the agreed values of the EDO
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
With the 8 Environmental Defenders Offices around Australia merging in late 2019, we are now entering a period of substantial growth necessary to meet the growing demands of the public for public interest legal services to address environmental and public health issues such as climate change.
As the region’s legal experts in our field, we aim to be a brave, unified, and focused team, committed to inclusion and excellence in all that we do. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workplace supporting a highly skilled, engaged, and effective team, where everyone can feel that they belong.
Commitment – We are committed to; a united organisation, to each other, to collaboration, to justice, to our communities and to creating a world where nature thrives.
Diversity – We are respectful of and welcome diversity of staff, volunteers, offices, environmental regions, communities, stakeholders.
Integrity – We work effectively, efficiently, strategically, professionally, and ethically; “justice is in our nature”.
Visionary – We lead change and environmental empowerment using innovation, creativity, and courage.
How to Apply
Applications must address the key selection criteria and provide evidence of qualifications (CV). Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain further information on the work of EDO from our website. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information about the position please us at [email protected]
Applications close at 5pm on Monday 14 June 2021 and are to be forwarded to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Solicitor – WA Practice’ in the subject line.