Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) is the largest environmental legal centre in the Australia-Pacific, dedicated to protecting our climate, communities and shared environment by providing access to justice, running ground-breaking litigation and leading law reform advocacy.
This is a unique opportunity to join the EDO in a period of growth and rapid expansion, with new solicitor positions for talented and experienced solicitors in 4 of our 8 offices around the country. We are recruiting for either a solicitor or senior solicitor to join the ACT, NSW, Southern & Central Queensland and Tasmanian practices within our new Healthy Environment and Justice Program. These positions report to the Managing Lawyer of the State or Territory practice.
You will have an unrestricted practising certificate, and strong PAE working as a lawyer with demonstrated litigation experience. Forming part of the new Healthy Environment and Justice Program, these positions represent an opportunity to deliver on human rights and the environment in each jurisdiction, and offer a high level of autonomy. Lawyers who think outside the box and want a chance to think creatively about delivering systemic change are strongly encouraged to apply.
EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are particularly encouraged to apply.
There are various opportunities presented in these locations, and positions will be either recruited as ongoing or fixed term positions.
View the Position Description PDF
- The chance to deliver positive environmental outcomes and develop a unique legal practice within the EDO
- A flexible and family-friendly workplace
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- 15 personal days per year
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including media training, as required.
Key selection criteria
- An unrestricted practicing certificate or entitlement to one in the relevant jurisdiction
- A minimum of 2 years PAE working as a solicitor including litigation, 4-8 + years PAE highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in administrative and/or environmental law, within the relevant jurisdiction highly desirable
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgements and decisions based on consideration of different views
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills suited to a range of audiences
- Demonstrated litigation experience in administrative or environmental law and/or related disciplines
- Capacity to undertake law reform or policy, experience desirable
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse communities and individuals highly desirable
Personal qualities and cultural competency
- A champion of the agreed values of the EDO
- Strong initiative and self-motivation
- Commitment to the protection of the environment and public participation in environmental decision-making
- A strong sense of ethics and understanding of professional obligations
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations in both the delivery of our work and our internal culture
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment.
We are a national, public interest environmental law organisation, the largest in Australia Pacific. Over our 30-year history we’ve developed a formidable track record of empowering communities and delivering effective protection of the environment through legal services.
With the 8 Environmental Defenders Offices around Australia merging in late 2019, we are now entering a period of substantial growth necessary to meet the growing demands of the public for public interest legal services to address environmental and public health issues such as climate change.
How to Apply
Applications must address the key selection criteria, identify the Practice Team applying for (e.g. NSW), level of seniority preferred and provide evidence of qualifications (CV). Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain further information on the work of EDO from our website. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications can be made to join either a single Practice Team or multiple. For example, applicants practising in Queensland may only want to join the Southern & Central Queensland team. Where you are willing to move to the city in which our office is based, multiple may be identified e.g. ACT, NSW, and Tasmania. In this situation, applicants are asked to identify a preference.
For further information about the position contact Director of Healthy Environment and Justice by email at [email protected].
Applications close at midday on Friday, 30 October 2020 and are to be forwarded to [email protected] with ‘Application for position of Solicitor / Senior Solicitor’ and identify the practice team in the subject line. For instance ‘Application for position of Solicitor – ACT and NSW’.