You can help unleash the power of philanthropy to:
- Restore access to justice for communities when it is restricted or compromised;
- Pioneer new frontiers of climate change litigation;
- Tackle land clearing with impactful, nationally coordinated legal solutions;
- Scale up legal investigations to achieve more systemic law reform outcomes.
In 2013, we found ourselves facing potential demise. The Federal Government had cut funding for many community legal centres, including EDO (our funding was cut completely) as part of a regressive trend restricting communities’ democratic right to access justice.
Realising the crucial role EDO plays in our democracy and the irreplaceable value offered by our expert legal services, donors bearing gifts – both modest and large – came to our aid.
This was a turning point for us, launching a mutually beneficial partnership with the philanthropic community, increasing our financial independence and helping individuals and community groups to defend the environment.
We are continually grateful for the generous support of all our donors and take your investment in our work seriously. With it, we’ve developed new legal strategies that we’re keen to share and are committed to creating systemic change in the most effective and cost-efficient manner.
When you give $5,000 or more in a single, tax-deductible gift, you make a significant investment that propels us closer to fulfilling our mission. This incredible support has helped us to:
- Win landmark legal challenges, such as the ground-breaking case that saw the Rocky Hill coal mine rejected, in part on climate grounds;
- Launch federal and state legal challenges to the Adani mine in Queensland;
- Protect communities from inappropriate developments; and
- Carry out legal investigations that have instigated major water law reform, specifically for the Murray-Darling Basin.
We look to create legal solutions that change the game – there is no opponent too big to challenge on behalf of our clients. We encourage you to help us realise our vision of empowered communities and an environment protected through law.
Investment in the Environmental Defenders Office offers significant leverage:
As a resourceful and efficient organisation, EDO provides enormous leverage to philanthropists and our clients. The EDO offers consistent, high-level legal services to clients at a fraction of the commercial cost. Every dollar you invest delivers five times the value. For instance, a $100,000 gift equates to approximately 1300 hours of legal work per annum by a solicitor. A conservative commercial firm equivalent would be in excess of $500,000.
Through the assistance of volunteer law students, the EDO’s extensive register of pro bono and low bono experts and our large barrister network, we deliver a further $500,000 in value from that initial $100,000 gift. EDO NSW has also invested in an experienced fundraising team to build a reliable, sustainable income stream and further secure our financial independence.
There are several benefits to making a significant investment with the EDO:
- Invitations to special events and confidential briefings;
- Select mailings, including updates from the CEO, annual reports and executive summaries from our legal research and investigations work;
- Opportunities for in-person and phone updates on our activities with our CEO and directors;
- A designated staff member who is available to respond to your requests or questions.
We’re keen for you to strengthen your commitment:
Multi-year funding commitments
We deliver outcomes on par with the large commercial firms while operating on a community legal centre budget. One of the best ways you can help is by providing a multi-year funding commitment. This allows us to both recruit and retain great people, allowing them to focus on the important work we do every day at the Environmental Defenders Office.
Matching gifts and lead donors
We’re always keen to hear from donors who want to use their financial investment to leverage more funds and therefore increase their impact.
Pioneers of new frontiers
Creating systemic change takes innovation and leadership. We need a handful of influential people to step forward and join us as pioneers for change as we develop innovative legal solutions for today’s unique challenges. Your committed leadership would provide multi-year financial support to help scale up our legal teams, amplifying their impact and contributing to a brighter future for generations to come.
Please contact our Major Gifts & Bequests Specialist Victoria Brockfield at [email protected] or phone 0422 512 168 should you wish to make a gift to EDO or gifts in your will.
Please contact our Senior Philanthropy Specialist Ingrid Neilson at [email protected] or phone 0421 972 731 regarding major gifts, or any other enquiries regarding grants, funding applications and reports.