EDO NSW is the only legal centre in NSW
that provides specialist advice about public interest environmental law
matters. Since 1985 EDO NSW has pursued its mission of providing public
interest legal services to groups and individuals to protect the built and
EDO NSW is now acknowledged as a crucial element in the functioning of
environmental law in NSW and Australia.
Our vision is a sustainable environment protected through the rule of law, achieved by holding to account, building capacity and leading change.
Our priority program areas are:
• Climate change and energy
• Natural resource management
• Environmental planning
• Aboriginal cultural heritage
The core strategies we employ are:
• Public interest lawyering
• Policy and law reform
• Community legal education
• Multi-disciplinary approach supported by sound science
• Communications and media
Our goals are:
• Goal 1: Effective legal protection of the environment
• Goal 2: Empowered community
• Goal 3: Leadership & influence
• Goal 4: Dynamic sustainable organisation
EDO NSW receives financial assistance from:
the Public Purpose Fund of the Law Society of New South Wales;
Legal Aid New South Wales;
the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department;
the New South Wales Government through its Environmental Trust;
John D & Catherine T MacArthur Foundation;
the Commonwealth Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
We would also like to thank the Environment and Planning Law Association of NSW (EPLA) for financially supporting EDO NSW Reseach Fellowship Program and DLA Piper and Gadens Lawyers for ongoing support.